Mariner 9 Call for Volunteers
We are seeking a team of dynamic and committed volunteers to support us with MARINER 9.
OPPORTUNITY EXTENDED BY 1 WEEK - NEW DEADLINE MONDAY 2ND JULY
A giant video art installation by Kelly Richardson inside the historic Spanish City Dome at Whitley Bay
3 - 19 August 2012
About MARINER 9
Tyneside Cinema has commissioned a stunning large scale new work by internationally-renowned digital artist and former Tyneside Cinema Artist-In-Residence Kelly Richardson.
Richardson is making an epic immersive 50-foot-wide video installation entitled MARINER 9 which digitally re-creates the surface of Mars some 200 years into the future, battered by a dust-storm and dotted with a debris field of broken, partially operating spacecraft from our various missions to the planet, both actual and imagined.
MARINER 9 is an extremely accessible art work which is beautiful to see, technically amazing and will inspire the viewer to use their imagination to create their own extraordinary narratives. We believe it will attract and engage large numbers of people.
Richardson is one of the leading artists in a new generation working with advanced digital technologies here taking NASA’s own imagery and technical data of the Martian landscape and using Terragen, a complex scenery generation software used by the film and gaming industries, to create a super-realistic Red Planet that will fill the field of vision.
The work will have its world premiere in the historic Spanish City Dome in Whitley Bay in August 2012 thanks to a partnership with North Tyneside Council. Limited past access to this iconic building has made it the UK’s most visited destination for Heritage Open Days.
The exhibition will attract national and international attention and we propose to also create an engaging programme of public events and activities to ensure audiences of all ages enjoy the artwork. MARINER 9 will further catch the public imagination as it coincides with the planned arrival on Mars of the NASA Curiosity Rover.
Call for Volunteers
We are seeking a team of committed volunteers to support us in the day to day invigilation, public engagement and promotion of MARINER 9 in and around Spanish City Dome. This will also include supporting a diverse events programme, which will take place during the exhibition period. It is desirable that volunteers have an interest in contemporary art, culture and heritage.
- Maintain the MARINER 9 experience by ensuring the exhibition space and the venue is a consistently friendly and welcoming environment for all visitors and users.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness and order across all public and non-public areas of the venue.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge about the installation and venue in order to respond to all queries in an informative and courteous manner.
- Deal with all customer feedback promptly and in an appropriate manner, forwarding to issues to the Duty Manager as necessary.
- Participate in marketing initiatives and promotions as required.
- Work closely with all Tyneside Cinema staff to ensure good communication.
- Be vigilant for and report any faults, maintenance and health and safety issues related to the exhibition and public/non-public spaces in the venue.
- Comply with all policies and procedures as documented in the Tyneside Cinema Volunteer Event Pack alongside all subsequent updates.
- Ensure all customer data is recorded accurately, consistently and in line with company policy and the Data Protection Act.
- Comply with Health and Safety, Equal Opportunity and other policies at all times.
- Any other duties as required to fulfill the exhibition objectives of the Tyneside Cinema.
Responsible to: Tyneside Cinema Duty Manager
Located at: The Spanish City Dome at Whitley Bay
Subsistence: Volunteers will be able to claim up to £5 per shift for travel expenses
Participation in the MARINER 9 exhibition and events programme requires a commitment of time and service. We require volunteers to be available for the entire exhibition period including a training and induction session (30th July – 19th August 2012).
During exhibition times, volunteers will be asked to assume responsibility for one four-hour shift per day. Weekday shifts will be from 12pm – 4pm and 4pm – 8pm and weekends from 10am – 2pm and 2pm -6pm. Some one-off events may require working earlier or later than these hours.
Attendance at a training and induction session at the Spanish City Dome is required before the exhibition previews on Thursday 2nd August. This will provide a great opportunity to experience the exhibition and the venue, learn more about the art work, meet the Tyneside Cinema team and understand event requirements and standards.
Download: Mariner 9 Expression of Interest form
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘MARINER 9 2012 Application’ by Monday 2nd July at 5pm.
We will be conducting short interviews at the Tyneside Cinema in July. If you are unable to forward your application via email for accessibility reasons, please contact Laura Allan (Company Administrator) on 0191 227 5502.
Contact may be made via email as well as via telephone, so please ensure you monitor your inbox. If you have not heard from us within 5 days of the closing date you have unfortunately been unsuccessful on this occasion.
If you have any questions please contact:
Andrea Macdonald (Pixel Palace Production Coordinator)
10 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
0191 227 5508 / email@example.com